Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Trust Fall

Do you remember when you were at summer camp or on a youth group trip as a kid and you would have to do the trust fall? The dreaded trust fall. No one really LOVES team building exercises to begin with...but the trust fall?? Putting your life...or at least your very healthy calcium filled bones...in the hands of your peers, trusting that they will catch you with their arms locked into each other.

I think I viewed these exercises at one point much like I viewed math or social studies. When are you really going to need to use this? Why am I wasting my time on pointless activities when I could be compiling a new collage of Jonathan Taylor Thomas!

Well, today is one of those days where the trust fall exercise is rearing its head. A day where it says to me "Do you dare to fall?" "Do you dare to trust?"

And unlike trusting that my peers are going to keep me from smacking onto the ground, I am trusting something completely different. I am trusting something that cannot be seen. I am trusting that when I lean back on the edge, there is going to be something that breaks the fall. Do I know what that hammock of safety is going to look like? No.

And I think that is what scares me the most.

Not that I don't trust something will be there to catch me...but that I don't know what it is going to look like.

And so, today is Step one of the trust fall.

To just trust.

"So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:18

No comments:

Post a Comment